Procedure for the Reception of the Sacrament of Baptism
Children are eligible for the Sacrament of Baptism where there is reasonable certainty that they will be brought up in the Catholic faith. With this in mind, we propose the following:
- The Baptism Application Form be completed by all those wishing to present children for Baptism.
- All questions on the form must be completed.
- Attendance at the Pre-Baptism Class is obligatory for parents and God-parents.
- Preparation classes will commence on the first Thursday of the month.
- That Pre-Baptism classes will be preceded by an interview with the parish priest.
- A rehearsal session for Baptism may be arranged prior to the reception of the Sacrament if necessary.
- Baptisms will take place during the 10am Mass on the last Sunday of the month.
- The Parish Priest may allow Baptisms at an alternative time under extraordinary circumstances.
- At least one God-parent should be a Confirmed and practicing Catholic while a second God-parent may be a non-Catholic but a practicing practicing Christian. A letter confirming this from their priest/pastor is required.
- In the case where Catholics are not registered at The Immaculate Conception Parish, a letter of authorization is required from their parish priest stating their suitability.
- Any financial donations should be discussed with the church secretary beforehand.